Re: [LAU] rme fireface 400 on debian?

From: Malte Steiner <steiner@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Feb 13 2008 - 15:56:30 EET

> To summarize: a total roundtrip latency (jdelay) of less than 100 frames
> is achievable with firewire. A delta1010 has approx 180 frames (if I
> remember correctly), so I guess firewire can be competitive.

Sounds great Pieter, I dont have the new schedule fully read, are you in
Cologne at LAC?

> What's all the fuzz about latency ?

I am one of the 'fuzz-makers' and happy to have a latency of little less
then 3ms with 64 Studio distribution and RME PCMCIA Card. Granted, you
might not need extreme latencys for recording external stuff and
actually I turn up to 10ms or more for final mix down / rehearsal of a
considerable amount of tracks to keep the hard disks happy.

But this is only one use of Linux Audio. I use laptop for audio
synthesis in realtime and want the smallest latency possible and I am
happy that now actually Midi is slower when the perceived audio latency.
Play a computer software synth with a drum pad controller and you will
experience it, any latency is to be avoided.

Although I use software synthesis for over a decade now, the trend to go
all software synthesis still looks like a ridiculous idea to me but with
that low latency the computers start to compete.

Cheers,

Malte

--
Malte Steiner