Re: [LAU] rme fireface 400 on debian?

From: Thomas Vecchione <seablaede@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Feb 14 2008 - 18:31:07 EET

Dang reply-to-all....

You are talking about two separate problems.

One is a ground loop(The point where playing from battery makes a
difference) and the easy solution is to lift the audio ground(NOT the mains
ground).

The other is poor internal shielding. Typically a problem with built in
audio interfaces. There isn't a good solution other than to bypass the
interface. While ADAT is certainly an option and moving the D/A outside of
the box will make a difference, how much of one will depend primarily on the
quality of the interface. For built in interfaces on laptops it will likely
be noticeable. For higher end cases though it might not be as much.
Considering however these days the standard seems to be to have a breakout
box anyways connected either via Firewire, USB, or PCMCIA/Expresscard, it is
kind of a moot point with the higher end stuff nowadays anyways.

       Seablade