Re: [LAU] music apps scripts

From: Simon Williams <simon@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Feb 14 2008 - 18:55:26 EET

Studio 32 wrote:
> This is a *.sh script I have now:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> qjackctl &
> sleep 2
> lash_panel &
> sleep 10
> jack-rack &
> ardour2 [session] &
> sleep 10
> hydrogen &
> exit

This is one of the main things that's driving me nuts with Linux
applications at the moment- why oh why oh why do so few programs handle
resources properly. The main issue with practically everything is that
some resource (hardware, daemon, network connection, etc) must be
available when the application starts, and remain available until the
application exits. Why can't these apps:
1. WAIT for the resource to be ready when starting (especially in the
case of jack applications- don't die if jack's not around- it's probably
being started right now- "you can't rush these things" "we only let you
use it when it's ready").
2. Release the resource when it's not being actively used.
3. Support the resource becoming unavailable (primary example: I mount a
filesystem over the network or wireless. If I want to disconnect from
the network or go out of range, I have to stop all applications using
the mount and unmount it otherwise everything dies horribly (and I still
have to unmount and remount when the network connection comes back)).
4. Handle suspend-to-RAM sanely. I have to reload the module for my
miniPCI wireless card, reload the module for my PCMCIA bluetooth card
(though that rarely works- it just can't remain in the machine across a
suspend cycle or it 'forgets' it's hardware address and ignores me until
the next reboot), mute and unmute all channels on my soundcard and
reload jack for some stupid reason.
The most irritating thing was when I used to have to reload the module
for my soundcard as well, which was plain stupid...
I need to unload and reload the soundcard module to get sound again. But
I can't unload the module because I have audio applications running
(xmms, jack, or worse the flash plugin for firefox), and they've all
locked the ****ing device, even if they aren't actually playing to it at
the time. So I would have to kill all audio applications, unload the
module, reload the module, and then reload the applications again. If
you aren't playing to the damn card then release the device dammit! Or
better yet, ALSA, don't kill off the device node if I want to remove the
module.
Thank goodness that I don't have to do that anymore.