Re: [LAU] [OT] Another problem with creative commons licenses

From: drew Roberts <zotz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Feb 21 2008 - 18:06:49 EET

On Wednesday 20 February 2008 10:58, Cesare Marilungo wrote:
> Now that I think of it, the license I've always used to publish my stuff
> is by-nc-nd, not by-nc-sa. I don't remember now if the license at
> Opsound.org when I registered was nd (non-derivative) or sa
> (share-alike). If the latter is true, is has been a mistake from my side
> (probably I confused them or I didn't pay enough attention). But still,
> they removed the non-commercial clause.
>
> Anyway, do you think that - once I've succesfully had these tracks
> removed from these tracks - I can keep the by-nc-nd license everywhere
> else? Or should I relicense those particular tracks under by-sa?

You can pull the tracks from opsound.

You can leave the works under whatever license you wish wherever else you put
your works.

The problem is when others who got the works from opsound under what they
thought to be a valid BY-SA license, puts those works or derivatives of those
works elsewhere themselves under the BY-SA license.

I think it would be simplest to dual license those as BY-SA and your preferred
license and be done with it. Less future complications for you.

*** Warning... Perhaps take this with a grsin of salt. I may be being
too "loose" with this advice as BY-SA is my preferred license in the first
place.

I have tried to take that into account though. What has happened. If it has
and was not a really big mistake on your part, should not have happened to
you.

At issue is what to do now though. And I have tried to outline things a best
as I understand them and offer the best advice I can. (Certainly not legal
advice mind you.)

> Best,
>
> -c.

sorry for the delay, I sometimes send through the wrong account and get
bounced...

all the best,

drew