Re: [LAU] [ANN] Minicomputer 1.0 softwaresynthesizer released

From: Malte Steiner <steiner@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Feb 22 2008 - 19:10:23 EET

> And maybe use a good looking toolkit. Gui's like that are the reason that many
> people say that linux is old and don't want to switch. Take a look at KDE4:
> Linux is actually sexy. Now compare that to your screenshot...
>
> You might also want to switch to a toolkit that supports font-anti-aliasing.
> (Which is not a new technology, but has been around in Linux for almost ten
> years.)

I was waiting for that one. No, the choice of toolkit and design is
intentional. If the format is to small or the contrast to low, which
might due to differences of my LCDs and the others, than its considered
as a bug to be fixed. But I actually hate the 'new' Mac OSX look and
antialising hurt my eyes. I worked some years with Macs before
completely switched over to Linux and the always blurred Aqua look is a
pain in my opinion.
Sorry if people are wanting that one but thats not my problem, they
wouldnt like the sound of Minicomputer anyway. Same discussion people
tried before when I created a VST plugin called Microcomputer some years
ago, been there done that. It was very polarizing because it dared to be
different. Some love it some hate it because it didnt sound like a
TB303. Whats next, slapping a picture of a Moog onto it to make it sound
better :)

What really interest me is the GUI approach in general. Actually I think
this kind of synth interfaces are a pretty lame simulation of real world
  surfaces. I create electronic music since 1983 and think its silly to
turn tiny knob- (if they are antialiased or not) simulations with mouse
(or in my case graphic tablet because I suffer from Carpal Tunnel
Syndrome) on screen, one by one, while I have a whole studio around me
with quite some hardware. I have some faderboxes too but its always a
pain to remember which fader goes to what parameter, not much more
intuitive either. I think about different, maybe less mouse centric,
approaches and try that soon, but first I have to get my act together
for LAC next week, were I am open to further discussion.

Cheers,

Malte

--
Malte Steiner