Re: [LAU] [ANN] Minicomputer 1.0 softwaresynthesizer released

From: Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Feb 22 2008 - 19:59:02 EET

Am Freitag, 22. Februar 2008 schrieb Malte Steiner:
> > And maybe use a good looking toolkit. Gui's like that are the reason that
> > many people say that linux is old and don't want to switch. Take a look
> > at KDE4: Linux is actually sexy. Now compare that to your screenshot...
> > You might also want to switch to a toolkit that supports
> > font-anti-aliasing. (Which is not a new technology, but has been around
> > in Linux for almost ten years.)
> I was waiting for that one. No, the choice of toolkit and design is
> intentional. If the format is to small or the contrast to low, which
> might due to differences of my LCDs and the others, than its considered
> as a bug to be fixed. But I actually hate the 'new' Mac OSX look and
> antialising hurt my eyes. I worked some years with Macs before
> completely switched over to Linux and the always blurred Aqua look is a
> pain in my opinion.

I don't want you to switch to the aqua/mac-look. I want you to switch to a
nice gui.
You don't need to use qt or gnome. You don't need to have a super-duper-styled
gui. Actually pixmaped guis are bad, so much for the moog-approach...

But do yourself and your apps users a favor and follow some hig-rules. And use
a layout that is re-sizable at least in some extend. And (dynamic)
font-resizing is one of the small features (in a good toolkit that one
comes "for free", you don't need to do anything) that improve usability a lot
without adding much work...

Arnold

--
visit http://www.arnoldarts.de/