Re: [LAU] qsynth: errors / what a waste of time :(

From: schoappied <schoappied@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Mar 05 2008 - 11:23:47 EET

Shelagh Manton wrote:
> On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 20:58:20 +0100
> schoappied <schoappied@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>

>> Rui Nuno Capela wrote:

>>> do you have the alsa sequencer module loaded?
>>>
>>> try as root:
>>>
>>> modprobe snd-seq-midi
>>>
>>> and to make it permanent on every boot (on ubuntu):
>>>
>>> echo snd-seq-midi > /etc/modules
>>>
>>> byee
>>>

>> Thanks for the replies.
>>
>> There is a problem with the midi stuff. I must say I don't understand
>> close to nothing about this subject on linux, but it seems that there
>> are some things which are disturbing eachother...
>>
>> This is my /etc/modules on Ubuntu:
>> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> # /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
>> #
>> # This file contains the names of kernel modules that should be loaded
>> # at boot time, one per line. Lines beginning with "#" are ignored.
>>
>> loop
>> lp
>> fuse
>>
>> snd-seq-midi
>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> But I'll still get those messages...
>>
>> @Arda:
>>
>> service timidity stop (as root) is not working. Command service not
>> found or something....
>>

> "service" is a redhat thang. Use /etc/init.d/timidity stop instead.
>

>> I also use noteedit and for that I need to load timidity. Is there a
>> way to set up the midi in Ubuntu which works with all programs e.g.
>> noteedit, rosegarden, qsynth etc. ??
>>

> timidity has a jack option..
>
> timidity -iA -Oj #-iA using Alsa and -Oj outputting to jackd
>
> This may make timidity play nice with all your jack toys.
>
> Shelagh
>
>> My sister is a (semi) prof. musicians and she is using Finale 2007. I
>> want to look if I can set her mind to linux..... But things should be
>> preconfigured smoothly to accomplish this....
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Dirk

What is waste of time is this. Unbelievable that I can't make a simple synth to work... Very irritating.

Thanks Shelagh for your reply, but I'll still get:

*': Failed to create the MIDI driver (alsa_seq). No MIDI input will
be available.'

*LEt me explain again what I want. I want to work on Ubuntu with qjackctl > qsynth > rosegarden. I also want to work with other apps like noteedit, zynadd... etc. (qjackctl is running fine).
*
*- Please explain to me what AND why I've to load in my /etc/modules on Ubuntu.
- What is snd-seq, snd-seq-midi? Should I load them both, what is the difference and should I use snd-seq or snd_seq? Should I also load timidity on my /etc/modules?
- Can I use just one midi player (snd-seq or timidity) for all my programs eg noteedit, qsynth, qjackctl, rosegarden etc.?
- Is there maybe something wrong with my audio/ midi configuration on Ubuntu? (I don't talk about midi hardware).
- Are there specific things/ settings I should notice when I connect qsynth to qjackctl?
- Is there another synth comparable with qsynth?

It seems to me that the way audio is organized on linux is a little bit unorganized and complex... But maybe I'm in a bad period or so...

Kind regards,

Dirk