Re: [LAU] qsynth: errors / what a waste of time :(

From: Shelagh Manton <shelagh.manton@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Mar 06 2008 - 07:57:11 EET

On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 10:23:47 +0100
schoappied <schoappied@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Shelagh Manton wrote:
> > On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 20:58:20 +0100
> > schoappied <schoappied@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> >> Thanks for the replies.
> >>
> >> There is a problem with the midi stuff. I must say I don't
> >> understand close to nothing about this subject on linux, but it
> >> seems that there are some things which are disturbing eachother...
> >>
> >> This is my /etc/modules on Ubuntu:
> >> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >> # /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
> >> #
> >> # This file contains the names of kernel modules that should be
> >> loaded # at boot time, one per line. Lines beginning with "#" are
> >> ignored.
> >>
> >> loop
> >> lp
> >> fuse
> >>
> >> snd-seq-midi
> >> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >> But I'll still get those messages...
> >>
> >> @Arda:
> >>
> >> service timidity stop (as root) is not working. Command service
> >> not found or something....
> >>

> > "service" is a redhat thang. Use /etc/init.d/timidity stop instead.
> >

> >> I also use noteedit and for that I need to load timidity. Is there
> >> a way to set up the midi in Ubuntu which works with all programs
> >> e.g. noteedit, rosegarden, qsynth etc. ??
> >>

> > timidity has a jack option..
> >
> > timidity -iA -Oj #-iA using Alsa and -Oj outputting to jackd
> >
> > This may make timidity play nice with all your jack toys.
> >
> > Shelagh
> >
> >> My sister is a (semi) prof. musicians and she is using Finale
> >> 2007. I want to look if I can set her mind to linux..... But
> >> things should be preconfigured smoothly to accomplish this....

Have her look at this page.

http://www.musicbyandrew.ca/finale-lilypond-1.html

Which is by someone who uses finale and tried lilypond.

> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Dirk

Dirk, I have had problems as I have an on-board soundcard and "another"
(which is too embarrassingly old to mention on this venerable list) and
I had to tell jack specifically to use hw:1 not the onboard card.
Do you have an extra sound-card confusing things?

Has anyone asked you to try this command?

lsmod | grep snd

If you send the result to this list, someone might be able to help you.

But I can tell you that it *is* possible to have jackd, timidity (using
jack output) qsynth and rosegarden running together as I've done it on
my box which runs ubuntu.

Shelagh

PS my /etc/modules file does not have snd-seq-midi listed. Go figure.

Tagline for Tuesday, February 26, 2008
Useless Invention: Braille Drivers' Manual