Re: [LAU] Time of music in a seqennser

From: Hartmut Noack <zettberlin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Mar 15 2008 - 17:07:45 EET

Cesare Marilungo schrieb:
> Paul Davis wrote:
>> On Fri, 2008-03-14 at 14:33 +0100, Hartmut Noack wrote:
>>

>>> So one might call me a zelot - I am with Linux because it is GNU. And I
>>> dislike to have interactive applications running, that do not fit into
>>> the free ecosystem of GNU/Linux. So I think solutions like LV2 need much
>>> more attention then they get now.
>>>

>> >From who? The non-zealots don't seem to care. The zealots don't seem to
>> be writing the NI plugins :)
>>
>> --p

> VST plugins (especially soft synths) are designed to be limited.
> Especially those who emulate old synthesizers are mostly all the same.
> The only difference is in the GUI (and obviously in the limited set of
> oscillators, filters and so on of that particular synth).

While I dont think, that this is 100% the case, agree with you - there
are myriads of VST-synths that follow the stupid insulting "You do not
need to learn anything or to know anything - get our fine software and
click your hit with ease!"-philosophy. Thus the ongoing discussion in
the computer-music-scene about "How in the world can we achieve some
originality?" It is quite funny to read advices like "after you pimped
up a track with NI-plugs play it through 2 fender-guitar amps and record
this with microphones to avoid to let it sound the same as all the
10000+ other tracks out there pimped up with NI-plugins."

> no motivation, since I can fire up csound and create any kind of sound I
> would imagine with a bunch of lines. Of course I don't have the shiny
> graphical interfaces with rendered knobs. Instead I have unlimited
> possibilities (as much oscillators as I want, connected in any possible
> way, filters, effects, and so on).

> bunch of lines in csound than using virtual patch cords. The main reason
> to have virtual patch cords is marketing.

I think there must be a way in between if Linux audio shall gain a
relevant place in the music-scene. There is nothing wrong about having a
nice, intuitive interface to a versatile sound-modeling system. I never
managed to get c-sound working very good for me since I muster take the
time to learn a complex programming language to get some sounds. I use
Alsa Modular Synth, ZynaddSubFX, Specimen and modular patches routed
with jack to get what I want. MicroComputer is just great also.

> but they perceive commercial software as better, because of its value in
> money.

Many think so but not all - I am quite sure, that musicians are ready to
adapt a free system, if they see, that it provides tools they need to do
what they want to do. Marketing brainwash like "you need software XY to
get a decent synth-sound" does work on a majority though....

best regs
HZN