Re: [LAU] recommendations for usb sound card?

From: Clemens Ladisch <cladisch@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Mar 19 2008 - 10:01:50 EET

Bill Allen wrote:
> Clemens Ladisch wrote:
>> Bill Allen wrote:
>>> ALSA: could not start playback (Broken pipe)
>>
>> There should be an error message in the system log.
>>
>> I'd guess that this goes away if you update to a newer kernel, or if you
>> connect the device directly to the computer instead of through a hub.
>
> I'm going into the usb slot on the computer and
>
> bill@email-addr-hidden:~$ uname -a
> Linux amddesktop 2.6.22-14-rt #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Tue Feb 12 03:54:33 UTC
> 2008 x86
>
> I don't think I can get a much more recent kernel. Thanks for your help,
> but I'm starting to be convinced that my device is just not working
> right.

The "could not start playback (Broken pipe)" message indicates that the
USB host controller driver was not able to allocate enough bandwidth on
the bus, for some reason. This has nothing to do with the hardware.

Please show the error message in the system log.

There have been some changes in the EHCI driver related to audio
playback between 2.6.22 and 2.6.24; you might want to give it a try.

Regards,
Clemens