[LAU] what's the difference between debian and ubuntu

From: Atte André Jensen <atte.jensen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Mar 20 2008 - 20:10:55 EET

Hi

I've been running debian for years, and was very pleased with it's
performance. However, for other reasons (mainly 6 months release cycle),
I recently switched to ubuntu. Although I think I have everything setup
the same (realtime kernel, /etc/security/limits.conf and chrt of irqs),
I can't get the same performance as with debian.

Before we start pulling my system apart and I post half the content of
/etc/, can anyone think of what might be different enough to cause
realtime problems? Anyone else having the same feeling about debian vs
ubuntu?

I realize that gnome vs openbox and the usability-enhancing-daemons in
ubuntu (network manager, power manager, plugin-detection-of-usb, stuff
like that) might be making a difference, but my realtime setup under
debian was rock steady, 0 xruns while compiling kernels, checking email,
whatever. Under ubuntu it's generally good, but every few minutes
something creates dropouts, or chopping up of the audio stream.

--
peace, love & harmony
Atte