Re: [LAU] what's the difference between debian and ubuntu

From: Hermann Meyer <brummer-@web.de>
Date: Thu Mar 20 2008 - 20:30:14 EET

Am Donnerstag, 20. März 2008 19:10:55 schrieb Atte André Jensen:
> Hi
>
> I've been running debian for years, and was very pleased with it's
> performance. However, for other reasons (mainly 6 months release cycle),
> I recently switched to ubuntu. Although I think I have everything setup
> the same (realtime kernel, /etc/security/limits.conf and chrt of irqs),
> I can't get the same performance as with debian.
>
> Before we start pulling my system apart and I post half the content of
> /etc/, can anyone think of what might be different enough to cause
> realtime problems? Anyone else having the same feeling about debian vs
> ubuntu?
>
> I realize that gnome vs openbox and the usability-enhancing-daemons in
> ubuntu (network manager, power manager, plugin-detection-of-usb, stuff
> like that) might be making a difference, but my realtime setup under
> debian was rock steady, 0 xruns while compiling kernels, checking email,
> whatever. Under ubuntu it's generally good, but every few minutes
> something creates dropouts, or chopping up of the audio stream.

Hi

I am a debian user to. So I cant say what's the difference between. But it let
me think on my new harddrive that I switch on last day's. First it drives me
creasy. I get xrun's all few minutes. I realease that I am forget to turn on
dma for the harddrive.
http://linux.oreillynet.com/lpt/a/linux/2000/06/29/hdparm.html

Now my system is stable like it was befor.
I dont know anything about ubuntu, I am a debian/sid user.

regards hermann