Re: [LAU] Configuration for a FREE professionnal studio : your minds about my proposal

From: Thomas Vecchione <seablaede@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Mar 21 2008 - 01:08:04 EET

What do you mean by formed on Linux Audio system?

If by formed you mean fluent, you can add me to the list, I know a few off
hand without much problem, and I would imagine there are many I don't know
on this list even.

In as far as the OP...

General Comments:

Stay away from Phenom Processors until the revision comes out. Once the
revision hits they will likely be a good bet. Intel, as much as I hate to
say it, right now is the smarter choice until then though.

A lot of people are mentioning Tyan motherboards, just for sake of a flip
side, my workstation was built on a Tyan motherboard that had a hardware
defect take down the SATA controller recently. Took three years for said
defect to show up, so take it as you will.

Did you mean the RME HDSP 9632? Or the 9652? I don't understand why you
would run a Multiface into it though, since the multiface is designed to
connect to a different RME interface card natively. I run/ran a 9632
myself, and ran via ADAT some mic pres into it and was happy with that. Get
some good quality pres, even the RME OctoPre is an option if you want to
stick with them.

I do love the sound of Apogee though since I started running one on my
Macbook Pro. Unfortuanatly I do not believe they are supported yet under
Linux, but that is likely coming. On the flipside their standalone stuf is
of course an option for AD/DA

I like a lot of what you had picked out, take it as you will. Have fun
though.

        Seablade