Re: [LAU] Configuration for a FREE professionnal studio : your minds about my proposal

From: Thomas Vecchione <seablaede@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Mar 21 2008 - 16:31:24 EET

On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 9:20 AM, Aurelien <orl@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> But digiface doesn't have conerters?
> I think my poor English has lead me to be misunderstood.
> We don't want converters external to the HDSP, we just want the preamps
> to jus be preamps and no converters (as to remind, the preamps should be
> TL-Audio Ivory II serie).

Ok, I misunderstood your intent then. I think I got that impression from
you mentioning using the Multiface as an external A/D D/A with the HDSP9652.

> By the way it looks we can use till 3 Multiface with Linux, so the
> dedicated card + 3 multiface is a quite nice solution.

I thought I recalled somewhere a capability to daisy-chain multiface units,
but taking a look at the unit itself I only see a single host port, so I
believe that I was wrong in that regards. In which case it limits the
possibilities of cards playing well.

It is, of course, a bit more tricky to combine the three cards into a single
unit for use with Jack if there are three separate cards. I believe it is
possible to have three multifaces, with three interface cards, so long as
they are properly syncd via wordclock it should work in theory. However
note that I have never tried it, it is a more complex setup, and personally
I think I would lean away from it in favor of doing a single interface that
has plenty of I/O for what you need (Like your original thought with the
9652) and external AD/DA (Which RME has some units dedicated to this purpose
along with the obvious choices like Apogee).

> The question was also about the choice between Multiface (x3) and an
> Alesis HD24XR. They have the same converters, but the clock, the jitter,
> etc. aren't the same. It looks like the RME are better, but the HD24XR
> seems to suffer from the HD24's reputation.
> I don't know what the best between those two solutions, indeed, and if
> someone has tried the HD24XR (eventually linked with ADAT to an
> HDSP9652), I'd be glad to read his feelings.

If memory serves, the HD24XR IS the HD24 with a bit more processing. It is
only capable of 12 tracks at 24/96 I believe though, not the full 24. In my
experience with the HD24, I find them to be a good machine for recording
live shows, however transferring the show off the HD24 I found it to be a
much better solution to use an external USB enclosure, and use third party
tools to transfer the information directly from the drive to my local
drive. I can look up the program I used if you would like.

Their FTP server I consider to be complete crap for transferring recordings
of any length over a couple minutes. Doing 1 hour recordings and above, it
continually crapped out on me in transfers and was extremely slow on top of
that. Compared to the direct connection method mentioned above, which was
far more stable, far faster, and in general far better, I would never touch
their FTP transfer again.

I have not used their fireport transfer method though I have heard it is
decent. It sounds like you were looking at transferring by wiring ADAT and
recording in real time form the playback of the HD24? I would say,
especially when using Ardour, it is better to transfer the files via direct
connection as mentioned above, but this is just personal opinion. In
dealing with largee track counts of large shows, it is probably a moot point
so long as you never have a problem doing the recording in Ardour.

> Yeah, that can be a problem, indeed. As it's gonna be a mobile studio,
> there are many configuration that shall exist. but anyway, I think we
> always prefer have the DSP/PC/sound ingeneer/loud machines in another
> room. So, I think we can take a bit loud hard drive (I suppose it's not
> something untolerable).

Ok just tossing it out there, personal preference only;)

       Seablade