Re: [LAU] Focusrite Saffire line

From: sevol <sevol@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Mar 29 2008 - 14:09:50 EET

Pieter Palmers wrote:
> sevol wrote:
>> Hi People,
>>
>> I'm thinking of getting one of the Saffire audio interfaces from
>> Focusrite. Anyone on the list using these units & happy with the
>> results? This, a little off-topic & subjective: happy with the pres &
>> conversion?
>>
>> The SaffireLE,
>>
>> http://www.focusrite.com/products/saffire/saffire_le/
>>
>> , is the one I'm eyeing. As far as I can tell it's very similar to the
>> Saffire,
>>
>> http://www.focusrite.com/products/saffire/saffire/
>>
>> , only with 6 in/8 out compared to 4 in/10 out, & minus the
>> hardwar-powered plug-ins. I like having 2 more ins, & wont miss 2 less
>> outs. & I imagined the plug-ins, ahreware-powered or software woulkd
>> be useless under Linux. But the recent thread on the M-Audio Profire
>> 2626 leads me to believe, maybe the times are changing.
> I personally think times are changing, but change is slow...
>

>> I'm curious whether the DSP plugins might work in linux with FFADO.
>> Actually, true functionality of any of these models seem to require
>> software to adjust settings, so, what limitations are people noticing
>> right now running these in Linux? & will the pending beta release of
>> FFADO address the Saffire plug-in Suite hardware-powered use &
>> whatever other issues there are, if there are? Or is this a Wine
>> solution?
> As things stand now, there are no plans to support the saffire's
> internal plugins. And if I do support for any (hardware or software)
> plugins related to these devices, I'll do whatever I can to make them
> native instead of WINE.

I'm not really disappointed - hadn't given the DSP stuff much chance of
use atm. If/When the time comes, native has got to be better.

Somehow the plugins thing hijacked my thoughts. In fact, certain other
issues seem more critical & pressing. Like, the front on the LE has 4
nice knobs: 2 level controls for frontside inputs 1 & 2; 1 for levels of
backside Main outs 1 & 2; & 1 for headphone levels. That seems to leave
a lot of input & output control unaccounted for, except via the Saffire
Control LE software GUI.

& this would be a no-show in Linux, right? I guess the 2 analogue
line/instrument-in levels on back can be controllrd by, if existant,
volume knobs on whatever devices are connecting to them. So, maybe
that's covered. & sample rates will probably be handled by JACK/JACKCTRL.

Then though, the MIDI Through is activated by a software switch. & the
High Gain switches for Instrument level sources is software controlled.
The S/PDIF external sync switch, likewise, & the same situation as the
nonworking S/PDIF input of the Firepod. A lot of the output & mixing
capabilities are based in software too. Is there going to be a way to
manage these? Full details not necessary, but could you reveal the gist
of what'll be lost?

>> Last, is anyone working on a clone of Pieter Palmers? That'd be pretty
>> useful...
> I am. Still have about 30years of tweaking ahead though :).

Ahh, then the rumors ARE true... had to ask, but 30yrs wait time ;)

> Pieter

Thanks for the info,

sevol

p.s. Just read Andrew's message on the Freebob-devel list & see that
the S/PDIF capabilities are looking better, at least with FFADO testing
on the firepod. Hmmm...