Re: [LAU] Reference or HOWTO?

From: schoappied <schoappied@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Apr 03 2008 - 13:50:33 EEST

On Thursday 03 April 2008 06:07:51 Al Thompson wrote:
> Is there a reference or HOWTO on how all of the various audio parts work
> together in Linux? I've looked around, and most are horribly out of date,
> and don't cover it all anyway.
>
> My goal is to get everything I need on Linux to replace my Sonar 3.1 setup,
> and it looks like the programs are available. I just can't get everything
> to work, and part of the problem is that I don't understand Linux audio
> very well yet. I need to understand how alsa relates to jackd, what is
> 'oss,' and why is that the only option available in Audacity to me that
> works, and why when I run jackd, some of my other programs no longer have a
> sound output available at all.
>
> Any help, or pointers to the information, would be greatly appreciated.

I'm also a relative newbie, and I can imagine what you're experiencing. I also
shouted out for a better (newbie) documentation....

Here some sites which may help you.

- http://www.linuxjournal.com/users/dave-phillips/track
- http://linux-sound.org/
- http://www.64studio.com/manual/audio

More advanced and difficult documentation or most of the time on the site of
the particular application.

Freewheeling has even some video tutorials!!!! That should be a example for
the other applications and there websites....

Good luck

Dirk