Re: [LAU] Music: Woxitron finalized

From: Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Apr 05 2008 - 10:22:48 EEST

On Thu, Apr 03, 2008 at 12:56:31PM +0200, t_w_@email-addr-hidden wrote:
> hollunder@email-addr-hidden wrote:
>
> > > http://www.archive.org/details/woxitron
>
> > It's a fun track, thanks for sharing it.
>
> You're welcome!
>
> > I was curious about what else you got up there on archive.org and
> > snooped around. I listened to 'free' and was kinda blown away by the
> > sound. It's really cool in a way.
> > I wonder what treasures are still lurking there.
>
> Heh, thanks. Never thought anyone could be blown away from the
> sound of my old tracks, produced on a Korg M1 (1988-1994) :)
>
> http://www.archive.org/details/m1_free
>
> Back then I was always trying to get sounds out of the old lady it wasn't
> made for. That track belongs to a series where I was obsessed with
> more punch on the beats and bass bass bass, resulting in some rather
> unfortunate mixing :)
> I had no memory cards and no own computer, so making a new track
> often meant erasing an old one. After recording to tape, if I was happy
> enough with the result. Good times, nonetheless.
>
> Everyone's invited to dig for treasures,
> just click on my name after "Author" ;)

Great percussion stuff!

I have a question: where did you get your drum samples?

Whenever I ask other electronic musicians about their great drum sounds, they tend to shrug and say, "use Battery".

Of course, Battery is proprietary closedware, so it's of no use to me.

Where do you (or anyone else) get great drum sounds?

I've gotten a lot of mileage out of Hydrogen but the total of kits available for it seems to have topped out at about a dozen and stopped there.

-ken