Re: [LAU] Music: Woxitron finalized

From: Thorsten Wilms <t_w_@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Apr 05 2008 - 12:21:49 EEST

On Sat, 2008-04-05 at 00:22 -0700, Ken Restivo wrote:

> Great percussion stuff!

Thanks!

> I have a question: where did you get your drum samples?

For Woxitron: from Steinberg's LM-somenumber drum module. Made a single
drumloop, applied pitch-shifting, sliced it, applied different filters
and in one case ring-modulation. Arranged the variations in different
ways to make a set of loops. Added another loop made of TR-909 style
samples from some random website (they are so generic I don't see a
licensing issue).

That was all several years ago. More slicing and mangling happened in
Ardour.

The old Korg M1 stuff uses internal drum sounds, as I had no other
choice :)

I'm actually much in favour of synthesising percussion like I did using
Om on several tracks:
http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=creator%3A%22Thorsten%20Wilms%
22%20AND%20subject%3A%22Om_modular%22

This allows to adjust the timing of each sound to help the groove. Also
nice is introducing slight random variations for a more "organic" sound.

But I just can't throw away my old material. Oh, and pure sample
mangling of what I record with my mic is fun, too :)

--
Thorsten Wilms
thorwil's design for free software: