Re: [LAU] Midi Sequencer with Staff Notation

From: David Baron <d_baron@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Apr 09 2008 - 16:13:29 EEST

On Tuesday 08 April 2008 23:44:12 schoappied wrote:
> N. Gey wrote:
> > Hi list,
> >
> > I've looked around a lot and asked questions in the IRC Channel but just
> > to go sure:
> >
> > Is there a Linuxsoftware avaible which is a traditional sequencer,
> > endless scolling view from left to right, but uses staff notation for
> > each track?
> >
> > In other words: Think about Rosegarden or Ardour with staff-tracks
> > instead of piano roll.
> >
> > I hardly believe it since the user has to be a classical musician who
> > wants to record and compose directly on screen, without using paper and
> > transfering it later (which WYSIWYG-users prefer). I strangly noticed
> > that these users are a minority.
> >
> > Greetings,
> >
> > Nils

> Maybe Noteedit is what you're looking for
> http://developer.berlios.de/projects/noteedit

Noteedit is not a midi sequencer but is the only notation program right now
that will get the job done, few if any if-ands-and-buts.

Noteedit is not being maintained any longer. There are two claimed successors:
Canorus and nted. Neither will get the job done. Nted is progressing, but ...

Denemo is also progressing but ....

Mscore is not 100% stable, a little querky but show much promise to be the
opensource sibelius.

The only one which IS a sequencer is Rosegarden. Probably the most developed
linux audio/MIDI app. I found its notation nigh impossible to use.