Re: [LAU] Selling my RME HDSP 9652

From: Wolfgang Woehl <tito@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Apr 13 2008 - 01:19:33 EEST

Kevin Cosgrove:

> http://www.rme-audio.com/english/hdsp/hdsp9652.htm
>
> What else does one need to use with this in order to be able to
> record & playback? It looks like A/D and D/A stuff will be needed.
> What do you use? Do you connect via the ADAT optical I/O?

Hi Kevin, the hdsp 9652 is 3 x adat i/o plus 1 spdif so you need
external adat-capable gear. I had 2 behringer ada8000's which are
cheap (These have 8 preamps, balanced plugs, clock, 8 line-outs
that -- at least in these early behringer models -- inadvertently
inverted phase, chinese quality all in all) but ok for what I could
afford at the time.

In order to monitor your input you either route in hdspmixer (any to
any) back via adat into external into line-outs. Or you include
Ardour's mixer to set up monitor busses (which is a bit painful) for
loads of headphone mixes back to hdspmixer etc.

Actually if Ardour had some kind of mechanism to show you all sends
(think all mic routes of a band recording) to a bus (think headphone
mix busses) in one place ... With good latency setup this would be
wicked.

Wolfgang