Re: [LAU] new! linuxmusicians.com

From: david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Apr 14 2008 - 10:52:39 EEST

Arthur wrote:
> david wrote:
>> Hartmut Noack wrote:

>>> I back that: a forum is nice in many cases, you can have pictures,
>>>
>> How cute! Can we have a picture of you up there, too? ;-)
>>
> No comment.

C'mon, I've heard you're a 10! ;-)

>>> a powerful search-function etc.
>>>
>> There already is one: Google.
>>
> Many mailing lists are not well represented on Google.

That's the fault of the mailing list, not Google. Any mailing list that
is shutting out the most-used web search engine is not serious about
sharing its contributions with others.

>>> PLUS: the site in question is indeed a forum only so it can serve a a
>>> forum-module for the 2 other sites.
>>>
>> Forums suck. :-P
>>
> Forums are preferred by some and certainly there is room for all
> opinions. I use forums to search my own user name and solve problems I
> had a year ago.
> They can be quite handy,

They're not handy enough that I'll sign up for a forum just so I can
search their contents.

> but of course no one is suggesting that those
> who prefer mailing lists should stop using them.

The only way the two different ways of communicating work together is if
the two are bridged together, so that posts to one automatically show up
in the other. In the past, this has always led to massive amounts of
spam poisoning the email list unless some list/forum manager is working
full time at keeping it out. Many lists and forums have been killed by
such junk, just as their older brother (newsgroups) were killed before them.

Forums - bah!

--
David
gnome@email-addr-hidden