Re: [LAU] PulseAudio

From: Shelagh Manton <shelagh.manton@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Apr 14 2008 - 11:05:14 EEST

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 00:22:57 -0700
Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 10:44:00AM +0200, Alberto Botti wrote:
> > Il giorno mar, 08/04/2008 alle 09.53 +0200, hollunder@email-addr-hidden ha
> > scritto:
> >
> > > Of course, PA and jack don't work together either (at the same
> > > time on the same device(interface?) at least). Both need full
> > > access.
> >
> > I've not tried it yet, but recent versions of PulseAudio have a JACK
> > sink...
> >
> > http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/Modules#module-jack-sink
> >

> Maybe I am confused.
>
> Is PulseAudio a replacement for ALSA or does it sit on top of ALSA?
>
> Is it even attempting to be a replacement for JACK in terms of
> pro-audio real-time low-latency?
>
> Or is it a replacement for esd or whatever sound daemon or the GNOME
> or KDE daemon thing use?

Yes, this exactly.

> If so, how is PulseAudio any different from any other desktop sound
> daemon that JACK users have been disabling since time immemorial?

More flexibility for normal users, the use of more than one sound card
without dnsnoop(sic) and the supposed ability to pipe each application's
sound thru which sound card they want. (I have had no success with
this, but I'm not fond of tinkering with no idea of what I'm doing).
And yes, using the gconf setting to tell gstreamer to use its jack pipe
is easier, better documented and most applications seem to be happy
with it (at least in the gtk2 world).

Shelagh