Re: [LAU] PulseAudio

From: Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Apr 14 2008 - 17:07:36 EEST

Am Montag, 14. April 2008 schrieb Paul Davis:
> On Mon, 2008-04-14 at 10:04 +0200, Arnold Krille wrote:
> > So PulseAudio is by design not _the_ solution for
> > sound on the desktop. It is just another middle-layer for sound.
> reasonable people might choose to disagree about this.

Does PA cover all the points today's desktop apps need? Does it have video?
And yes, video has proven to be one of the important requisites for
desktop-app-devs during the Phonon-design-process...

> * intra-application management of media streams
> * delivery/receipt of media streams to endpoints outside
> of an application
> PulseAudio is aimed at the second task; gstreamer is aimed at the first.
> my impression is that Phonon is attempting to cover both. good? bad?
> *you* decide :)

Hmm, using one lib/api against using two or more... I know, I go for using
_one_ api for it all. And if it is already inside the toolkit I use, the
decision gets even more easy.

> > And PulseAudio claims to unify both desktop-needs and pro-audio-needs.
> > Another place it will fail big time. Because it will never be good enough
> > to have ardour use PulseAudio. (Hint: Jack was designed for ardour...)
> Lennart (PA's author) fully understands how and why JACK is different
> from PulseAudio, and has long term to plans to try to provide
> jack-server functionality within pulse. PA also has a JACK backend
> already, so that you can use "desktop" apps while JACK is running and
> still hear them.

That last argument probably applies to _every_ soundsystem out there on linux.
Because everytime one of them authors claims to revolutionize the sound on
linux the lad/lau guys ask "can you make use of jack?", they sit down and
produce a sink to use jack for output. But what is the purpose to stack PA on
top of esd (or gstreamer) on top of Jack on top of alsa???

Arnold

--
visit http://www.arnoldarts.de/
---