Re: [LAU] PulseAudio

From: Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Apr 14 2008 - 17:11:25 EEST

Am Montag, 14. April 2008 schrieb Steve Lindsay:
> On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 6:04 PM, Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> > Where does PulseAudio come into that picture? - When the gnome-guys
> > realized that esd is out of date and they want a new api/lib.
> > Unfortunately they decided to a) write their own and not adopt what is
> > there and b) to go audio-only which means no chance of KDE adopting it
> > (apart from the fact that kde already has Phonon). So PulseAudio is by
> > design not _the_ solution for sound on the desktop. It is just another
> > middle-layer for sound. And why should a desktop-app-dev adopt PulseAudio
> > when he would have to use another api/lib for video? Isn't it better to
> > use one api/lib that has both and even does them in sync?
> Isn't comparing Phonon and PulseAudio apples and oranges though? If I
> understand the situation correctly Phonon is just an abstraction layer
> that interfaces with various multimedia frameworks, whereas PulseAudio
> is an actual sound server.

Where is the difference between an abstraction layer by design and a
soundserver that can make use of other soundservers?

The main argument for using PA is that it can make use of many things already
out there. Which is exactly what an abstraction layer does. So we are talking
apples and oranges that can also act as apples here. Which makes it valid to
compare the apples-part.

Arnold

--
visit http://www.arnoldarts.de/