Re: [LAU] qjackctl patchbay

From: david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Apr 16 2008 - 12:51:41 EEST

schoappied wrote:
> Ray Rashif wrote:
>> On 16/04/2008, *david* <gnome@email-addr-hidden
>> <mailto:gnome@email-addr-hidden>> wrote:

>> did explain
>>
>> So at the end of the day, do you want better code or better
>> documentation? I would, personally, go with the former. In most cases,
>> the documentation _is_ there - except it's too obvious and it gets
>> missed; man pages. QJackCtl's patchbay saving feature has been around
>> for quite some time, and a lot of guides had it demonstrated in a
>> practical manner - albeit not really explaining it's existence.

Hmmm, actually, david gnome in hawaii did not write anything above. The
joys of attribution as material is clipped. ;-)

I do happen to agree that better code is better than better
documentation ... but as someone who spent 20 years writing software
documentation, I can tell you that 90% of the man pages I've read are
worthless unless you already know the program they "document". (And,
IMHO, they're really intended for command-line programs, not GUI ones.)
They're really intended as a slightly-more informative way of listing
and explaining a command-line program's parameters, not really showing
or explaining how to use it.

Sometime when I'm in a position where I don't have to spend so much time
making money, I hope to do some documentation work for Linux programs.
At least the ones I know and use.

--
David
gnome@email-addr-hidden