Re: [LAU] while we are sharing things we made

From: <hollunder@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Apr 16 2008 - 16:34:07 EEST

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 04:28:50 -0700
"Justin Smith" <noisesmith@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> I just made a video of a synth that I wrote in c (except for some 4
> point interpolation code adapted from pd, the audio code is all mine,
> based on ideas presented in "the computer music tutorial" by Cecil
> Rhodes), with a c++ fltk gui (the waveform editing widgets are all
> custom made). I warn you before you click on the link, it is not a
> composition, just a brief run through of what you can do with two
> instances plugged into one another. Oh, and it is designed to sound
> kind of like Merzbow, or Iannis Xenakis, and if you don't know those
> names, you will probably hate it (and most of the people who do know
> those names hate their music too, I am too old to try being an
> ambassador for the style anymore). Anyway, keep the volume levels
> low, and an open mind, and feel free to check it out. Here is an
> example of the synth <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrQPm5DXL3Q>. I
> am considering figuring out autotools and how to make debian packages
> and distributing it for others to use, but I am not sure how many
> people would find it useful, compared to the amount of work it takes
> to maintain a GPL'd package.

Thanks, looks like a fun synth, from what I can tell from the video.

I don't know Xenakis (altough heard the name), know a little of Merzbow
and like the noise of Maurizio Bianchi quite a lot, but not too
often ;)

I have no knowledge in build systems or packaging, but the move appears
to be away from autotools and to scons and similar system.

I look forward to trying your synth

Best Regards,
        Philipp