Re: [LAU] Decent and attractive audio player

From: <hollunder@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Apr 28 2008 - 09:34:40 EEST

> Justin Smith wrote:
> > On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 10:25 PM, Justin Smith
> > <noisesmith@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

Oh yes, I experienced this Problem as well. 10k tracks may still work,
but at a certain point amarok(as most audioplayers) just get unusable.
I know that amarok supports different database backends, but I honestly
just don't know how to administrate such a beast.
mpd is the only one I know that can handle huge collections out of the
box and creates the library a lot faster than amarok(with standard db).

> >> From the wikipedia page for the program:
> >> One has to wonder though: can 3 bytes actually be heard in a wav
> >> file that produces 180.000 bytes per second?
> >>
> >> The answer is a definitive yes, and if you are (un)lucky, they may
> >> just blow your speakers too. And I presume by 180,000 bytes per
> >> second they mean 176,400.
> >>
> >> Since it is a ruby application, presumably it wouldn't even be
> >> possible to have a binary for it if you wanted one (or is it mixed
> >> ruby/c?).
> >>
> Don't know, I installed from a .deb package. It works.
> >> It does look like an interesting application, but their
> >> alogorithms are either very naively implemented or the wikipedia
> >> page explains them poorly.

Try this page for a hopefully better explanation, and if it doesn't
help, the forum surely will:
http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Rubyripper

> > I can only say, try it. I have been very pleased. I am a composer
> > and my ears still function. I have hafler audio equipment and I
> > can't hear the difference between my cd's and a rubyripper rip.
> > YMMV, but it may please you as much as it's pleased me. I have
> > tried many other rippers.
> Arthur

From what I read some years ago, cdparanoias concept or implementation
is flawed, and rubyripper tries to make a highlevel-workaround.
That may be not as good as writing a better cdparanoia, but it's better
than just using it as-is. It's the only 'secure'-ripper I know of in
linux.

Regards,
        Philipp