Re: [LAU] Pre-License change LinuxSampler code

From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat May 03 2008 - 00:26:39 EEST

On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 3:52 PM, Esben Stien <b0ef@email-addr-hidden-stien.name> wrote:
> "Mark Knecht" <markknecht@email-addr-hidden> writes:
>

> > The GPL doesn't protect my 'interests' as a tester/contributor
> > bucause my name isn't listed in the code header.
>
> This is wrong. If you got contributions to the code base you are also
> a copyright holder. The law protects you here. This means they cannot
> change the license of the particular files you contributed to, without
> your consent or without removing your contributions. This is protected
> by law.

Well, the problem is that as a tester/contributor my contributions to
the project is direct but to the code is indirect. I never wrote a
line of code in LS and don't want anyone to think I did. However I
would strongly suggest that LS wouldn't have made nearly the progress
is did make in the time it did without all the work I did looking for
inconsistencies in how GigaStudio handled a specific gig file vs how
LS did. My contribution was to push them to make a product that
professional users of GSt would consider using. However, I wrote no
code and my name appears nowhere in any file, as is probably
appropriate.