Re: [LAU] [LAA] Qtractor 0.1.3 (frugal damsel) released!

From: cdr <_@email-addr-hidden-your.name>
Date: Sun May 04 2008 - 11:32:01 EEST

> Isn't there this gstreamer based garageband clone,

Jokosher
http://jokosher.org

> and isn't garageband some loopbased thing?

not as much as Acid or Live..

> Does garagecrap use a simialar format?

it uses "Apple Loops"

which are AIFF files, and an invisible directory of metadata

theres also 'rex' files from recycle, which embed the metadata _inside_ the sound file. usually inline. using some archaic blob 'chunks' thing from the original aiff quasispec

i mainly use ssv files (154 0.8
                        932 0.6)

which is just sample offset and velocity.

i havent looked to see if appleloops use samples, ppqn/bars/musical-timebase or both.

anywyas if i wanted more verbose/detail, id definitely use MoTools

http://motools.sourceforge.net

rather than inventing my own schema or reverse-engineering apple loops (ok, they probably have a spec up..)

> It's just
> an idea for collaboration, if anybody plans to do that kind of stuff.
>
> Rui, too bad that distros can't keep up with your release cycle, ubuntu
> still includes 0.0.3 ...

whats up with release 'cycles' anyways. people still open up CDRs in the mail every 6 months or something?