Re: [LAU] [LAA] Qtractor 0.1.3 (frugal damsel) released!

From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun May 04 2008 - 19:02:45 EEST

On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 5:58 AM, Rui Nuno Capela <rncbc@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Mark Knecht wrote:
<SNIP>
> > Hi Rui,
> > You know me pretty well at this point old friend. I've just a user.
> > Nothing more. I might be a pretty smart user, but I'm just a user.
> >

> oh no. don't take me wrong. i was just in hope that Erik was listening here
> too :)

Me too!

<SNIP>

> ok. we already have the "Root note", "Beats", "Meter" and "Tempo" fields in
> sight, which is a fair start imo.

Well, sndfile-info writes the word 'tempo' but I'm not completely
comfortable that we know where the tempo values are. Both of the
examples I provided say 120BPM. Unfortunately neither loop library is
actually recorded at that tempo!

> i'm afraid of what the "??" could mean :) and whether Erik will break or
> change the SFC_GET_LOG_INFO output string layout on any other libsndfile
> release ;)

I'll promise you that "??" means 'I don't know, this is a place holder
for the future', or something like that. Again, this has been at least
4 years since Erik and I did this because I was living in a different
house and we bought this current house in July, 2004. That said I
think Eirk and I had identified a list of things to at least look for
in the files and some of what's in sndfile-info's output today is just
that list. We still need to find things.

I feel like I could be of more help if someone trained me to use some
tools. Are there any simple tools for looking at the contents of a
wave file and getting just the header portion? I found hexedit but
there's little contextual info there so I'd need to know more about
wave formats themselves. I'd be happy to take some spare time and look
at files to see if I can find some patterns if I can find some tools
someone like me can use.

- Mark