Re: [LAU] Auto-fitting loops [WAS:] Qtractor 0.1.3 (frugal damsel) released!

From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun May 04 2008 - 19:36:30 EEST

On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 9:24 AM, Atte André Jensen <atte.jensen@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Rui Nuno Capela wrote:
>
> > qtractor hasn't none. *you* are in control :))
>
> And in for work (or am I missing something). I think a simple assumption
> that loops are 1/4, 1/2, 1, 2, 4 (etc) bars long is a resonably
> pragmatic one. It's easy to implement and should work for most cases,
> and with the possibility to override with manual settings I think you
> get the best of both worlds.
>
> Just to get it straight: does your Qtractor have auto-fit ala my recipe?
> If not are there any plans to implement it?
>

> --
> peace, love & harmony
> Atte

Absolutely. It's actually sort of difficult to buy loop sets
commercially that aren't in 4/4. Most 4/4 loops cover 4 bars, 8 bars,
16 bars, etc. Using commercial loop sets within something like Acid
without chopping does lead to fairly straight forward
pop/house/D&B/rock formats pretty directly but you can do other things
by chopping loops. Trance loop sets are cool as they often have long
pad loops that might run 32 bars with some variation in the loop so
you can grab an 8 bar chunk that you like the sound of.

There are sometimes a few 3/4 loops buried within larger sets, but
it's really, really difficult to find 5/8 or 7/8 sets for doing
anything very jazzy.

- Mark