Re: [LAU] Equivalent to reason?

From: <hollunder@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat May 17 2008 - 01:43:10 EEST

On Fri, 16 May 2008 23:23:12 +0100
"Chris Cannam" <cannam@email-addr-hidden-day-breakfast.com> wrote:

> On 16/05/2008, Lee Revell <rlrevell@email-addr-hidden-job.com> wrote:
> > Well, it works perfectly for me, on two separate Ubuntu 8.04
> > machines, without hardware mixing, one using pulseaudio and one
> > using alsa + dmix.
>
> By the way, to come back to this -- is there any way in the Ubuntu
> config GUIs to find out which server/setup you're using? I have
> everything set to Autoconfig, and according to "ps" I do have
> pulseaudio running, but I don't see anything in the GUI to say so.
> And although the GUI does mention ESD, I don't actually seem to have
> ESD running regardless of whether it's enabled in the GUI or not.
>
> Similarly, if I had more than one soundcard, where would I go to tell
> pulseaudio which one to use?
>
> I'm quite fond of the new Ubuntu, but as far as sound is concerned,
> for me it really doesn't seem to be any improvement over earlier
> distros.
>

> Chris

From my experience, the ESD-option in the gui enables/disables PA.
There shouldn't be any other soundserver running, afaik.

PAs gui is quite strange, you need to start the PA-device chooser, then
(!)leftclick on the thing in the taskbar. Choose the volume control,
it's the only part of the control stuff I needed so far and contains
the controls one usually wants.
Go to the output devices-tab, rightclick on the device you want
to have as default device and you'll see a context menu with a single
checkbox reading 'Default'.
On the playback-tab you can change the output device of a 'playing' app
in the same manner.
Hope this helps.

I agree that it isn't really a big improvement, in parts because of the
strange gui, its bad integration into the desktop and the
incompatibility between PA and portaudio and similar problems.

Best Regards,
        murks