Re: [LAU] zoom h2 software mixer?

From: <hollunder@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat May 24 2008 - 08:31:14 EEST

On Fri, 23 May 2008 22:10:04 -0700
"Justin Smith" <noisesmith@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> To celebrate my new full time job, and payday, I just got a zoom h2.
> It records four channels from its four microphones, runs on AA
> batteries, and can be accessed as a hard drive or a sound card (sadly
> only two mics at a time when a sound card). Excellent little machine
> for the price.
>
> My one problem is that alsa (either via amixer, alsamixer or
> oss-emulation mixer via aumix) will not give me any mixer controls. Am
> I stuck with using the silly buttons on the machine for all mixing,
> when I use it as a sound card? How hard would it be to write a mixer
> for it... is the problem a lack of developer time or an issue with the
> device itself?

What kind of mixing controls do you need? If it's just simple stuff for
playback/working with alsa, it might be possible to use another layer,
like pulseaudio.
For jack, I think there is a pretty sophisticated mixer available. I
never used it myself, I think it is called jackmixer or something.

I don't know what kind of chip it uses, maybe you can use a mixer app
for other soundcards? (Envy24 control, ...)

Best Regards,
        Philipp