[LAU] old problem: alsa device or resource busy

From: Rich E <reakinator@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue May 27 2008 - 07:47:07 EEST

I know I have seen this hased a few times... but never seen an answer.
Occasionally something grabs the ALSA sound driver and doesn't let go; I
don't appear to have any applications that are using audio open, yet I still
get this message:

r@email-addr-hidden: ~$ aplay flugel.wav
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:864:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
aplay: main:545: audio open error: Device or resource busy

So why isn't there a way to find what has tied up the audio device? If
there is, great, now I can move on.

I know multiple devices are supposed to be able to use the ALSA device at
the same time, but I assume that older applications weren't implemented to
take advantage of this feature, which is why I am receiving this error, no?
I have always wondered about this; wikipedia says one of ALSA's main goals
is "graceful handling of multiple sound devices in a system", but I have
never known this to be the case.

Time to restart my computer so I can use audio again..

regards,
Rich