[LAU] inverting phase of one channel - bad idea?

From: Atte André Jensen <atte.jensen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue May 27 2008 - 12:14:18 EEST

Hi

A question came up on the chuck list today, regarding how to invert the
phase of one channel. The poster wanted to use this "trick" to widen the
width of the stereo image, and it sure does.

However now I'm thinking if it's a good idea in the first place. Besides
loosing mono-compatibility, I have a gut feeling that audio treated this
way will become very uncomfortable or even annoying to listen to after a
while.

Does anyone have any thought about this? Should this "trick" simply be
avoided or are there situations where using it on some parts of a mix
would be ok (keeping in mind that the tracks in question will disappear
in mono)?

--
peace, love & harmony
Atte