Re: [LAU] hardware: recording voice and acc. guitar

From: Steve Fosdick <lists@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue May 27 2008 - 11:08:57 EEST

On 27/05/08 04:28:54, Joshua Boyd wrote:

> It seems to me that most audio cards with preamps put the preamps in
> an external box, so going with external preamps might not be so bad
> if you can find some cheaply.

There are at least two good reasons for doing this:

1. Inside the PC case is an electrically noisy environment. Given that
mic pre-amps are rather more sensitive than line level inputs they are
likely to pick up less noise outside the PC case.

2. The metal stip on the back of a PCI card has limited space to mount
connectors. An XLR connector as used for mic inputs certainly wouldn't
fit so the choices are to use a breakout box or use some other
connector and then supply a little adapter lead.

Steve.