Re: [LAU] inverting phase of one channel - bad idea?

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue May 27 2008 - 13:07:35 EEST

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 12:07:11PM +0200, Atte André Jensen wrote:

> Fons Adriaensen wrote:
>
>> Bah, what you get is no stereo image at all, but some sort
>> of 'spatial soup'.
>
> Ok, then we agree :-)
>
> However now I reread the post more closely, and it seems his intentions
> were a bit different. Here's what he wrote:
>
> "feed the left channel back to the right with a short delay, inverted;
> feed the right channel back to the left with a short delay, inverted;"
>
> Actually it sounds to me like the inverting part becomes irrellevant. When
> the delayed + inverted sound is output, the original audio has moved on and
> the delayed audio is simply "something new" that's mixed in, inverted or
> not.
>
> Is this some kind of well known trick or am I right that inverting the
> delayed signal doesn't do anything (good) for the result?

If the delay roughly corresponds to the path difference of one
ear to both speakers, and you do invert, then this is a primitive
form of crosstalk cancellation.

If you want to try the real thing (which can be quite good), get
jconv and use one of two EYCv2** configurations. More info in
the config files.

Ciao,

--
FA