Re: [LAU] OT: Guitar level- Mic or Line?

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed May 28 2008 - 01:36:57 EEST

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 04:08:10PM -0500, Reuben Martin wrote:

> ... it's better for them to
> stick it in the line input than fry the mic pre-amp. :o)

Your mic preamp has to be very badly designed if can
be fried in that way :-)

> I think I read an article in TapeOp a while back that Les Paul did just that.
> IIRC, he rewired a pickup to be Low-Z because he thought it better retained
> it's character by being able to plug it directly into a preamp. Or something
> to that effect. I should dig around and see if I can find that article.

If your name is Les Paul you can probably do that without
risking your business.

I actually did the same about 35 years ago for a few friends.
Rewound the pickups manually, using a fixture made of Mecano
parts... Bumped into one of them last year - he's still happy
with the result.

Ciao,

--
FA