Re: [LAU] OT: Guitar level- Mic or Line?

From: Reuben Martin <reuben.m@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed May 28 2008 - 02:42:04 EEST

Remember back on Tuesday 27 May 2008, you were all like:
> Reuben Martin wrote:
> > Back on Tuesday 27 May 2008, Simon Williams was like:
> >> What if I can't afford DI-boxes? Which is best to use?
> >
> > There's really no good way to get around using DI boxes. If you google
> > for IMP2 Whirlwind boxes you will find places selling them for 39.99.
> > That's really not a bad deal if you're strapped for cash.
>
> Well, considering the desk was not more than a few hundred it's quite a
> bit, and I'm going to need 2-3 at least I think.
>
> Actually, what instruments actually need DIing? Acoustic guitars fine.
> What about electric guitars and bass guitars?

Acoustic needs a DI. With the electric you should probably mic the amp.
(unless there is no amp) Bass can go either way. For most bands I do both on
the bass because you will get a cleaner, better frequency range from the DI,
but putting a mic on the amp gets more "character". I usually do both and mix
them as desired. For a low budget gig though, you will probably get better
sound using a DI. (Because you probably don't have the right type of mics for
a bass cabnet anyway, and they cost more than a DI)

-Reuben