Re: [LAU] OT: Benchmark Your Hearing

From: Frank Wales <frank@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed May 28 2008 - 21:49:13 EEST

Dave Phillips wrote:
> One of the best bar-band guitarists here in my town has perfect pitch
> (as in absolute pitch). He can play and sing exactly like his models
> (he's a terrific mimic), but he can't improvise a blues worth a damn. He
> also has little or no sense for composition (though Garage Band lets him
> think he does). I wish I had his ear, but I wouldn't trade it for my
> other musical capabilities.

Reminds me of a comment I heard once by a professional symphony orchestra
musician about some of his conservatory-trained colleagues: "they're
wonderful musicians, but they couldn't play 'Happy Birthday' without
the score in front of them."

Makes you wonder what's in their head when they think of music.

--
Frank Wales [frank@email-addr-hidden]