Re: [LAU] OT: Benchmark Your Hearing

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu May 29 2008 - 00:35:12 EEST

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 07:49:13PM +0100, Frank Wales wrote:

> Reminds me of a comment I heard once by a professional symphony orchestra
> musician about some of his conservatory-trained colleagues: "they're
> wonderful musicians, but they couldn't play 'Happy Birthday' without
> the score in front of them."

Having worked with hundreds of not thousands of them, I can only
report that most of them are perfectly capable of playing "happy
birthday" without a score and in any key you want.

There are exceptions - some of them somehow managed to get their
official credentials without having any musical feeling - but
these are exceptions.

Ciao,

--
FA