Re: [LAU] hardware: recording voice and acc. guitar

From: Andre Majorel <aym-psd@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu May 29 2008 - 09:06:10 EEST

On 2008-05-29 00:58 +0200, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 12:48:55AM +0200, Andre Majorel wrote:
>
> > The SM57 is said to benefit from being plugged into a
> > preamplifier that has a low input impedance, i.e. 600 ohms.
> > Your sound card input is likely closer to 50 kohms.
>
> A mic input ? I'd be surprised. Mic inputs are supposed
> to be between around 2k.

I'm assuming that the typical designer of a PC mic preamp neither
knows nor cares and sees a mic input as a line input with gain. I
hope I'm wrong.

> > If you're
> > handy with a soldering iron, you could try soldering a 680 ohms
> > resistor across the hot and cold terminals and see if it
> > improves the sound.
>
> Whatever difference it makes can be achieved as well with
> some EQ.

But then you have to know what curve to apply.

--
André Majorel <URL:http://www.teaser.fr/~amajorel/>
Do not use this account for regular correspondence.