Re: [LAU] OT: Double bass (Kontrabass) Recommended listening.

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jun 06 2008 - 05:15:43 EEST

On Fri, 2008-06-06 at 12:01 +1000, Loki Davison wrote:
> Hi all,
> I recently bought a double bass and am loving it. Fun to play and
> amazing sound with fingers and bow. I will be looking for a teacher
> soon but first and foremost i'm looking for some good stuff to listen
> too! I'm really enjoying Willie Dixons stuff and a few tracks by
> Freundeskries (german hiphop) and Donovan. What else is good? I'd love
> to here tracks in a range of style both bow and fingers.

Eberhard Weber.

he actually plays a modified electric (but upright) bass, but still
worth listening to. for an introduction to the possibilities, check out
"Pendulum" or "The Colors of Morning". Pendulum is all solo, but
multi-tracked.

also Miroslav Vitous on ECM. on other labels he often played electric
bass guitar, but on ECM there's some gorgeous work on acoustic.

the bass player from Oregon can also be pretty inspirational, though he
sometimes fades away into the background.

and of course Ron Carter, who despite his ability to play electric bass
guitar with the best of the (well, almost), always insisted that
acoustic double bass had a quality that could never be replicated.

for something entirely different, check out "Ruby Vroom" by Soul
Coughing. an amazing sound (partly thanks to tom waits' producer tchad
blake) with the upright bass front and center in a
groovy/funky/psycho/rock/godKnowsWhat kind of setting. years ahead of
their time, and never really replicated.