Re: [LAU] Laptop Sound Adapter for Ripping my Vinyl Album Collection

From: Kevin Cosgrove <kevinc@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jun 27 2008 - 19:12:05 EEST

On 27 June 2008 at 11:47, plutek-infinity <plutek@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> >Not really, just trying to give some sort of indication as to the
> >sound quality level of the adapter I'm after. The internal card of
> >the laptop is probably not good enough, though I should at least
> >confirm that. An RME setup might, might just be overkill for the
> >job. ;-)
>
> to my mind, RME is never overkill --

OK, the hardware is not overkill. But, my wallet would probably
fall over dead. Actually, I do wish that I'd gone the RME route
from the start. But, I've got a pair of Delta 1010s and don't
want to go through the hassle of switching over. Eventually, my
computer will die and I won't be able to get a motherboard with
two PCI slots to run those units. I'm hoping that Firewire sound
adapters with pro specs and lots (>=16 full-duplex) of channels
will be working flawlessly by then. For some amount of time
Firewire might let me avoid motherboard specifics that impact
which sound adapters I use.

> just think of all the things you could do with your lappy then.

Neither of my laptops is really all that powerful of a machine.
One of them is a 700MHz Pentium II. But, I can run Audacity on
them for post processing quite well, with patience that is.

I was hoping for an answer that a piece of gear like one of these

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/MAudio-Fast-Track-Pro-Mobile-USB-Audio-MIDI-Interface?sku=241710

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/PreSonus-AudioBox-USB?sku=243007

would work. Even better would be something cheaper. :-)

But, looking over the ALSA sound card matrix, it looks pretty sparse
for things which operate via USB.

Thanks....

--
Kevin