Re: [LAU] Laptop Sound Adapter for Ripping my Vinyl Album Collection

From: Johannes Mario Ringheim <jri@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jun 27 2008 - 19:52:53 EEST

Kevin Cosgrove skreiv:
> What would you recommend as a sound adapter for this job, and why?

You could check out the Rane Serato SL-1, which is said to work with
ALSA and the xwax vinyl timecode system. It is USB, and it has a
built-in RIAA amp. I haven't tested this myself, but you might want to
look into it. As far as I understand it is detected as a standard
soundcard, so it could be used for what you're trying to do, not only
for timecode vinyl. Here's a guide on setting it up:
http://www.xwax.co.uk/scratchamp.html

For a cheaper solution I'd recommend to get a home amplifier with a good
RIAA amp, plug it into some good device with a decent A/D converter and
SPDIF out (a DAT player, for example), and plug that SPDIF into some
mid-range soundcard. DAT players and home amps can be bought second hand
pretty cheaply, and I think this would give a good price vs quality ratio.

Good luck!

--
Ringheims Auto - Fri musikk for bilstereo!
http://ringheimsauto.org