Re: [LAU] bassguitar

From: Aurelien <orl@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jul 02 2008 - 10:30:16 EEST

On Wed, Jul 02, 2008 at 08:47:43AM +0200, Svend-Erik Kjær Madsen wrote :
> ons, 02 07 2008 kl. 08:42 +0200, skrev schoappied:
> >
> > Ok you're right...
> > but this question remains:
> >
> > What are the advantages or disadvantages of an acoustic bass?
>

> You can rehearse without plugin it in an amp. You can choose to record
> it by a microfone to get more tone.
>
> It's probably a little more inconvenient to handle than an electric one.
>
> The best way to find out, is to by the guitar at a local music store,
> where you can try it out before you by.

I personally find that acoustic bass often have a quite porr sound.
Recording them with a microphone is not that much a good idea (in most
cases), as there will be lack of frequencies (bass, especially).
There also often is some buzz problems with those basses, as the
"lutherie" part of the bass is more important, and for an equal price
you won't get the same electronics than a solid body. (got to see that,
as most of -quite- good basses are active, electronics is often the
first thing to fail with time...).
And, the really important thing is that acoustic bass won't have such a
"jazz" sound, but something much more like a "folk" one.
By the way, you have to think about fretless if you're interested in
walking a lot (if you thought about Marcus Miller as a jazz bass player,
then, this is not true anymore! :)[1]
I told you that, but actually I play on a acoustic/electric solid body
bass, but it's quite a single isolated case (actually the bass is unic
model):
http://sebkhachott.pix.free.fr/albums_photos/2007_Freakshow_Artrock_Festival_Wurzburg//Freakshow_091.jpg
http://sebkhachott.pix.free.fr/albums_photos/2007_Freakshow_Artrock_Festival_Wurzburg//Freakshow_019.jpg
(the "luthier"'s website: www.leduc.fr)

[1] Finally the first thing to ask is what kind of jazz do you mean?