Re: [LAU] webcam with Linux

From: Lars Luthman <lars.luthman@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jul 04 2008 - 17:25:51 EEST

On Thu, 2008-07-03 at 10:50 -0400, Susan Cragin wrote:
> I have Intrepid Studio RT on a 386 machine with a built-in webcam.
> My webcam does not work with Camorama but does work with Skype for Ubuntu Linux.
> ??
> That's all I know. I got RT for the audio, not the video, so I haven't experimented.

There are two different video device APIs for Linux, V4L and V4L2. V4L
is both deprecated and very, very old, but for some reason people keep
writing drivers and software for both - some drivers work with V4L, some
work with V4L2, some programs work with V4L, some programs work with
V4L2. It's a mess.

--ll