Re: [LAU] What do you use for Vorvis audio? .ogg or .oga?

From: Folderol <folderol@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jul 14 2008 - 01:47:05 EEST

On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 18:25:03 -0400
"Cory K." <coryisatm@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Hi All. I'm Cory. Lead on Ubuntu Studio. 1st post to this list. ;)

Hello :)

> I have a pickle of a issue for a little app I'm working on. It takes
> your FLAC collection and converts the entire thing to whatever format
> you want with a couple of simple options.
>
> Anyway, I'm unsure what extension to use for Vorbis audio because .ogg
> is legacy and .oga should be used now. Issue is, going .oga might render
> HW players that haven't updated to be able to use the extension.
>
> From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogg
>
> "The Xiph.Org Foundation decided to create a new set of file extensions
> and media types to describe different types of content such as .oga for
> audio only files, .ogv for video with or without sound (including
> Theora), and .ogx for applications."
>
> More reference:
> http://wiki.xiph.org/index.php/MIME_Types_and_File_Extensions
>
> To me, the only way to further adoption is to use the extension by
> default. I talked to the oggenc dev and he has no intention of using .oga.
>
> So this is all very vexing to me as to which way to go.
>
> Do I use what is supposed to be the new replacement extension for Vorbis
> audio or do I continue to go with respected Xiph devs and continue to
> perpetuate a legacy extension with this little app of mine?
>
> -Cory \m/

I would say stick with ogg until you see a *very* significant number of
oga's in the wild. I've seen none so far, and there is no point in
using an extension that nothing recognises. I would guess that players
will eventuall be produced that will accept both extensions.

Maybe have a switch in your app so it can be changed later.

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk