[LAU] What do you use for Vorvis audio? .ogg or .oga?

From: Cory K. <coryisatm@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jul 14 2008 - 01:25:03 EEST

Hi All. I'm Cory. Lead on Ubuntu Studio. 1st post to this list. ;)

I have a pickle of a issue for a little app I'm working on. It takes
your FLAC collection and converts the entire thing to whatever format
you want with a couple of simple options.

Anyway, I'm unsure what extension to use for Vorbis audio because .ogg
is legacy and .oga should be used now. Issue is, going .oga might render
HW players that haven't updated to be able to use the extension.

From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogg

"The Xiph.Org Foundation decided to create a new set of file extensions
and media types to describe different types of content such as .oga for
audio only files, .ogv for video with or without sound (including
Theora), and .ogx for applications."

More reference:
http://wiki.xiph.org/index.php/MIME_Types_and_File_Extensions

To me, the only way to further adoption is to use the extension by
default. I talked to the oggenc dev and he has no intention of using .oga.

So this is all very vexing to me as to which way to go.

Do I use what is supposed to be the new replacement extension for Vorbis
audio or do I continue to go with respected Xiph devs and continue to
perpetuate a legacy extension with this little app of mine?

-Cory \m/