Re: [LAU] What do you use for Vorvis audio? .ogg or .oga?

From: Chris Cannam <cannam@email-addr-hidden-day-breakfast.com>
Date: Mon Jul 14 2008 - 13:50:35 EEST

On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 11:25 PM, Cory K. <coryisatm@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Anyway, I'm unsure what extension to use for Vorbis audio because .ogg
> is legacy and .oga should be used now. [...]
>
> http://wiki.xiph.org/index.php/MIME_Types_and_File_Extensions

Hang on -- that page recommends using .ogg for Vorbis. Doesn't it?

It says "Vorbis and Speex may use .oga, but it is not the preferred
method of distributing these files because of backwards-compatibility
issues". I'm probably missing something, but I don't see anything in
the references you gave to suggest you should prefer to use .oga when
writing Ogg Vorbis files...?

(For what it's worth, I'd never heard of .oga myself until now. Just
tried out Sonic Visualiser loading .oga-suffixed ogg/vorbis files and
it works fine, but they won't show up in the file selector because it
only has .ogg in the filter pattern.)

Chris